Often when I take Carson to school I feel very aware that I am the only one "pushing" my child in his pediatric stroller (aka--whispering--wheelchair) into class. I am pretty sure I was born
5'10 so that I could go through two sets of double doors, propping one leg always to get him through! Occasionally an adult will pass by (quite literally) but it's usually a child who runs to hold the door.
Just the other day a young girl (4th grade) held the door for me and said "Hello" to Carson by name. She then asked why Carson couldn't walk. I gave her the short version of his legs not working blah blah blah and her reply was "Oh, well I'm so sorry to hear that." As I walked towards his class I could feel tears well up---not because I was feeling bad for myself or him---but because she actually cared. How awesome!
At his school Christmas performance I had a mom walk up and tell me how much she enjoyed watching the Bus Driver load Carson on to the Kindergarten bus after school. That Carson lights up and smiles when the bus driver comes to get him. Harold (older gentleman ) is Carsons bus driver this year and actually talked me into letting him ride. He even switched his bus so that he would drive one with a "lift" for Carson. He bends over backwards to make Carson laugh & clap for him.
As much as Carson loves school and I enjoy a 2 1/2 hr break each day---I had VOWED never to put Carson in school years ago! So I am so thankful for all of the kids, adults, teachers who look past Carsons disabilities and love that extremely handsome... fiesty kid just as much as we do!